Hot Spot Radio employs a number of diverse and varied themes on its shows, nearly all of which are request-driven. Confused about the meaning of a specific theme? Refer to the list below for some examples. Have a new theme idea? Send them
- A listener favorite show, very simply this show showcases music from the (19)80's! To qualify, the song in question must have been released in the 80's.
- Exactly what it sounds like - on this show, we listen to music from the 1990's!
- Like "ABC's", but the artist and song must both start with the same letter as well.
ABC's and 123's
- A two-part theme. On ABCs, songs go in alphabetical order, one song per letter. On 123's (aka "By the Numbers"), all songs/artists/groups must contain a number.
All By Myself
- Songs featuring a solo artist, or a notable instrumental solo.
All Saints' Day
- Taking a cue from the Christian church, we honor the dearly departed on this show, and celebrate artists who have passed on to the hereafter.
And the Winner Is...
- On this show, we take a gander at music nominated for (and in some cases the winners of) Grammy Awards.
Around the World in (About) 180 Minutes
- HSR takes you on a tour of the globe, featuring music from other countries of the world.
- All songs or artists/groups must contain the name of an astronomical object or concept.
Best of the First
- The first single ever released by your chosen artist.
Blue Collar Radio
- Songs about particular professions.
- Every song title starts with the final letter of the previous song's title. (Another listener favorite!)
- Funny music, and stand-up comedy routines by some of the greats.
- A rare opportunity for your hosts to choose the entire playlist for the evening, so you get a taste of our musical preferences!
Drunken Bouncing Bunny Week
- So much happening in one week, we had to combine celebrations of St. Patrick's Day, the vernal equinox, and Easter, with artists/groups from Ireland, drinking songs, or songs/artists/groups with "irish," "ireland," "green," "drink/drunk," "spring," "Easter," "bunny," "rabbit," or "egg." Truly schizo!
- Songs featuring TWO lead vocal artists.
- Songs promoting the conservation of our ecological resources.
Extreme Hot Spot
- Songs clocking in at under two minutes, or over six minutes. Nothing in between!
First of the Best
- Multi-time Top 100 artists' FIRST #1 hit single.
Food and Drink
- Features music about food, beverages, eating and drinking. (Related theme: A Thanksgiving Feast)
Fox Spot Radio
- A rare chance for Bolo to host the show, and Thuban to sit back and relax. Foxy controls the horizontal and the vertical!
Free for All
- Anything goes! No matter what you want to hear, it's all fair game!
- Songs that sample other songs, as well as the originals.
F*** You, St. George!
- Songs about mythical creatures.
- Songs about drugs.
Home Sweet Home
- Songs with the words "home," "sweet" or "house" in the title.
Hot Spot Math
- Your opportunity to be creative, and create a mathematical equation with the songs/artists/groups you select! A bit complicated, but still a listener favorite!
Hot Spot World Tour
- Songs not necessarily from other countries, but with names of locations in the song/artist/group name.
HSR's New Year's Eve Shake-Your-Ass Dance Party
- Join HSR as we ring in the new year, passing through all time zones from Greenwich Mean Time to Hawaii!
I Write the Songs
- A testament to the truly creative and talented, this theme features music performed by singer/songwriters.
- Not so much a theme as a segment, we honor a recently departed legendary person.
In with the New
- The opposite of Thuban's Vacation Week, this show features ONLY music that is brand new to HSR's playlist.
- A newer theme, all artist/group names must start with the same letter as the requester's name.
It's Raining Men! (Hallelujah!)
- For men, this is equivalent to a Free for All. For women, all songs must be by male artists or all-male groups.
- Songs that you might expect to hear at a karaoke bar. Sing along, no one can hear you!
- Similar to "It's Raining Men," for women, this is equivalent to a Free for All. For men, all songs must be by female artists or all-female groups.
- Thuban frequently over-preps for theme shows. This show features the music that didn't make it to air on prior shows due to our commitment to playing listener requests.
Live SEX Show
- Songs all about, well.... sex.
Love Rules/Love Sucks
- A Valentine's Day tradition, we bring you both sides of the coin, showing the ups and downs of love! You decide which!
- A monthlong event, featuring combinations of other themes, like "Time & Space" ("A Matter of Time" + "Astronomy Night"), "Color by Numbers" ("A Show of a Different Color" + "By the Numbers"), "Chained Ladies" ("Chained Melodies" + "Ladies' Night"), and "Stage and Screen of the 80's" ("Stage & Screen" + "80's Night")
A Matter of Time
- Songs/artists/groups referencing a particular unit of time.
Muzak to Your Ears
- A show featuring the music you hear on your place of employment's sound system.
- A real challenge. Tune in, and try to decipher the common thread uniting the music played!
National Coming Out Week
- HSR celebrates out LGBTTTIA artists, and encourages its LGBTTTIA listeners to take the opportunity to come out to their friends and family. Remember, it gets better.
- Songs released between 1950 and 1979.
One Name Wonders
- Songs by artists/groups that go by one-word names.
Pre-AnthroCon Furry Spectacular
- For furries, anything goes. For others, songs should feature an animal in either title, artist or concept.
Reelin' in the Years
- Starting with a given year, one song per year up to current.
- A night off for listener and host alike! A random smattering of the music from HSR's huge playlist. It's like HSR on shuffle!
- A taste of a number of different themes in small, bite-sized pieces!
- Songs entirely in non-English languages, proving that you don't have to understand the words to love the music!
Scary Monsters and Super Creeps
- HSR's annual Halloween program, with a heavy emphasis on things that go bump in the night!
- A show to raise your spirits, featuring music all about, you guessed it, alcohol! (BYOB!)
A Show of a Different Color
- All songs/artists/groups must contain the name of a color. Also known as "Taste the Rainbow."
Thuban's Dance Party
- Music designed to get you up, out 'the seat, especially songs with pre-established dance moves.
Thuban's Vacation Night
- A chance for Thuban to relax and enjoy chat, this show features only music that already exists on HSR's (extensive) playlist.
- On this show, we play music credited as by one artist, featuring another.
Stage and Screen
- Another listener favorite, featuring music from television, movies and video games.
Story Time with Thu and Bolo
- Songs that tell a story.
Summer in December
- A show to warm you up with summery music, even in the midst of dreary winter weather.
That 70's Show
- A show featuring music released in the 1970's.
Then and Now
- A theme extending over two shows. On Then, we play your request of a song that was later covered. On Now, we play the cover version.
'Tis the Season
- HSR condenses all of its winter holiday music into one neat 3-hr package.